Thursday 28 January 2010

Embracing Etiquette with Teresa

.
Embracing Etiquette with Teresa

Beginning today, I will post an etiquette section each weekday. It will be listed at the end of the regular post or alone if I am unable to post for that day.

The book I will be referencing is Emily Post’s Etiquette, 17th Edition. Much in these posts will be direct quotes. I suggest that all of you keep a copy of this book at hand for your own reference.

As a child, my mother would teach my sisters and me etiquette each day during our summer break from school. She also referred frequently to the book when needed. It was important to our mother that we understood etiquette, and it is equally important to me as a mother. It is something you just MUST do!

So…let’s begin with the basics.

Chapter One ~ Guidelines for Living

Let's go over the common-sense ettiquette rules first.

Respect ~ “Respecting other people means recognizing their value as human beings, regardless of their background, race, or creed.”

Treating others with respect shows character, and to demean another person shows lack thereof. Referring to others as inferior to themselves, disrespect for the ideas of others, and lack of an open mind towards the feelings of others shows a lack of respect and is not acceptable.

Self-respect is as important as respect towards others. A confident person shows character, and displays respect for those around them.

Ready you eyes for a spectacular feast in my next post featuring the work of David Hicks.

See you tomorrow,
Teresa
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment


D6071FA